Ever thought about what could be better than kayaking? How about kayaking with your fur friend! While paddling solo is great, bringing your pet for the ride can be very rewarding and make the experience even better; so if you are on the lookout for the best kayaks for dogs you have arrived at the right place. Check out some of the best kayaks for dogs currently on the market.
Sports with your pet can be a great experience, think about it, dogs make great kayaking companions as they will never complain about getting wet. However it can only happen with the right equipment, that’s right, this can only be possible if you have the right boat; one that will keep you and your pooch both comfortable and safe.
Whether you already own a kayak or are looking to get your very first kayak for you and your fur pal, doing a little research is always a good idea. When buying kayaks for dogs, there are a few things to keep in mind before making that final choice. Check out some of the best kayaks for dogs.
Best Kayaks for Dogs FAQs
What to ask yourself when choosing the best kayaks for dogs?
- Do you and your pooch have a passion for white-water rafting, or do you prefer sheltered bodies of water like small lakes and ponds?
- Will wind and waves be an issue, or will you be sitting on calm, relaxing waters?
- Do you plan on getting pretty wet, or do you want to avoid that chilly water?
- When it comes to paddling, do you demand a kayak that is responsive, or is it more important that you opt for something that is more stable and doesn’t tip over? This is an important question if you have a bigger dog.
What types of kayaks can accommodate dogs? What are the Best Kayaks for Dogs?
- Sit-on-Top and Sit-In Kayaks: These are considered the most user-friendly because they are stable, and easy to get in and out of with no restriction. This offers some great benefits to dogs who can climb into position with ease.
- Recreational Kayaks: Recreational kayaks are a great go-to for dog paddlers because they are very stable and usually enclosed (with the exception of the cockpit). These types of kayaks are best suited for lap dogs or dogs that are happy to sit in the enclosed storage space.
- Tandem Kayaks: These are the best option when you and your dog need a little more space.
- Inflatable Kayaks: Inflatable kayaks are the perfect option for fair-weather kayakers since they offer excellent solutions in terms of transport and storage. They can be stored within the home and are, therefore, familiar to the dog.
How to know if your pooch is ready to go kayaking?
Analyze their behavior and comfort around water in general. Do they seem at ease, or are they skittish? Are they strong swimmers? Will they let you put a life jacket on them? And, most importantly, will they obey your every command (especially “sit” and “stay”)?
Does your dog need to wear a life jacket?
Yes. A life jacket will help them stay afloat even if they get tired of doggy-paddling; and it will also help you locate them, which can be invaluable if things get out of hand.
What to bring on a kayaking trip with your dog?
- Besides the life jacket, you should also bring some food and water; both in water-tight containers, of course. Treats are also a good idea.
- You should have something comfy for your pup to sit or lay on, and some toys or a chew bone to keep them occupied if they get restless.
- A first aid kit, sunscreen (yes, dogs can get sunburned too), and some shade. Poop bags are a good idea too, just in case of an onboard accident
Best Kayaks for Dogs
Ocean Kayak’s renowned Tri-Form hull combines primary and secondary stability, with a long center keel to keep the paddler going straight.
A durable, four-way-adjustable Comfort Plus seat supports all-day paddling, with comfort for any body type.
Paddle holders located on both sides of the kayak include a pull tab for ease in releasing and attaching the bungee to the bungee button.
Store gear, food, and other items with the oversized tank well and 6-inch Cam Lock Hatch with storage bucket.
- Stable Hull Design
- Easy Transport and Storage
The Perception Hi Life is the most versatile boat ever built, featuring a sit-on-top design that can be paddled like a kayak or a stand-up paddleboard.
It offers maximum stability and unique features to create an experience that’s unlike anything else and is perfect for sharing the water with kids and pets.
The low-profile rear swim deck with handles makes it easy to get back on board after swimming. Deck cushioning throughout provides a soft and grippy surface.
- Leak-proof one-piece construction
This popular tandem sit-on-top kayak, the Ocean Kayak Malibu Two, is perfect for an affordable family adventure. Enjoy sun and surf with a friend or a furry companion with the kayak’s three seating positions, which support solo, tandem, or tandem paddling with a child or pet.
A pair of Comfort Plus seats provide four-way adjustability, generating a custom fit and greater slip prevention over-molded seats. Patented overlapping foot wells allow center-seated paddlers to settle in and brace their feet comfortably.
The open, sit-on-top hull makes it easy to get on and off the kayak and includes a pair of molded-in handles and a skid plate. Maximum capacity of 425 pounds; measures 12 feet long and 34 inches wide.
- Single Layer Polyethylene
- Tandem Paddling
The Capri 10 SS Sit-On-Top Kayak is perfect for your next adventure. Great for recreational use on the lake or river, this kayak features a lightweight, easy-to-carry design with an open cockpit for easy entry and exit.
Incorporated storage well can be used to store items for your trip, while adjustable foot braces and a large seating area keep you comfortable the entire trip.
Great for lakes and rivers and to get to those excluded fishing spots. It features a lightweight, easy-to-carry design; and an open tank well for expanded storage.
- Adjustable Foot Braces
- Carrying Handles
The Intex Explorer K2 Kayak is sporty and fun with a streamlined design for easy paddling. The bright yellow color and sporty graphics make the kayak highly visible in the water. Great for experiencing lakes and mild rivers with a friend, this Sports Series kayak is perfect for two adults.
Lightweight and compact, this kayak is a snap to assemble and allows you to take the fun of kayaking wherever you go. Made with rugged vinyl construction, this sturdy kayak has an inflatable I-beam floor for comfort and rigidity.
A removable skeg provides directional stability, while two adjustable, inflatable seats with backrests are included for comfort. Quick inflating or deflating is a breeze with a Boston valve on each side.
- Puncture-Resistant Vinyl
- Adjustable Inflatable Seats
The BKC TK122P tandem kayak has extra space to fit 3 – making it ideal for paddling with kids on family adventures and epic fishing trips.
It comes equipped with 2 premium memory foam seats, 2 adjustable aluminum paddles, 2 waterproof hatches, 4 built-in rod holders, 2 paddle parks, and 1 bungee cargo tie-down. We have all the accessories you need for your next excursion.
Keep all your valuables dry inside the BKC TK122P’s dual watertight storage hatches. With one for each seat, your gear is always in reach. The rear cargo space with a bungee cord will hold all of your fishing stuff and outdoor gear.
- Storage Hatches
The buck uh-ra220 riptide angler is like the Swiss army knife of solo fishing kayaks: It has everything an angler needs for the ultimate aquatic adventure except for a reel, bait, and a bit of luck.
This sit-on-top fishing kayak features four storage areas: Three are watertight and perfect for a phone, keys, wallet, and your lunch, the fourth is an open cargo area with a bungee tie-down system for keeping larger kayak fishing gear secure.
So go ahead and bring your tackle box, cooler, or a dry bag filled with supplies for a multi-day kayak fishing adventure. This sit-on-top kayak is stable enough for standing, so if you prefer to cast and reel while on your feet, go ahead and stand tall.
- Upright Chair
- Rudder System
- Standup Stability